Bereavement Support Group
A Bereavement Support Group meets at 2:00 PM on the first and third Thursdays of the month in Our Lady of Lourdes Rectory Meeting Room. Please check our event calendar for upcoming meetings.
The Support Group is a small group voluntarily sharing their experiences in going through bereavement and discussing helpful spiritual guidance.
We go through a bereavement process whenever a drastic restructuring in our lives happens to us--- usually, through no fault of our own.
Whether it is from a loss of a dearly loved one or a loss of a job, or something not in our control that completely changes our lives. Those that we depend on for emotional support are no longer there and we have to reorganize our lives – look for new direction.
What the Support Group is Not:
- Lectures on how you get over it
- Therapy group
- Stand up and talk about how you feel
- Pep rally
What the Support Group Is:
- Individuals voluntarily sharing their concerns in a small group (4-6)
- Individuals voluntarily sharing their experiences in going through bereavement
- Helpful guidance and exercises, some that you may want to do on your own
- Spiritual guidance to give you strength
Who Should Attend:
- Individuals and family members recently affected by bereavement process
- Individuals who have had experience in reorienting their lives and want to help others
“COPING WITH YOUR EMOTIONS AND MANAGING STRESS”
- Crying. Tears have a language all their own
- Writing your thoughts on paper and expressing your feelings in a personal diary.
- Thanking God for the support you have received directly and through friends.
- Walking in nature. This can soothe the soul as you hear and see the cycle of life of the seasons.
- Throwing yourself into a hobby. Focus on an activity that helps to distract you temporarily.
- Caring for a pet. They give unconditional love.
- Wearing a smile, even when you don’t feel like it. Smiling releases endorphins that makes your body feel good.
The above are summary headings from a paper with the same title provided by the Norwich Diocese of Faith Events. It can be found in the Chapel and Foyer in the Bereavement Support Group Container.
Contact: Lou Tedeschi at 860-464-2453 for more information.